Monday, September 14, 2009

Useful ISERR function - Microsoft Excel

I feel most of the non-IT people & few of the IT people use the Microsoft Excel. Have you any time tried to use the formula to find a value in some cell, have used ? SEARCH or FIND function. Ok if you have used you might have found that it returns 1 if it has found an #VALUE! if it returns false.

i hope you have used something like this right ?
=SEARCH("Party",C9)

returns <1

where C9 contains "Party in Melbourne"

Now if C9 contains "Dance in Melbourne"

then it returns

#VALUE!

Here is a quick and fast solution to fix this and return TRUE or FALSE instead of 1 or #VALUE! which is not useful for further purpose.

=NOT(ISERR(SEARCH("Party",C9)))

Hope this might have solved your purpose, by the way I was using the below line to check whether the Finding string is present then return the cell content else return some other cell content.

=IF(NOT(ISERR(SEARCH("Party",C9))),C9,B9)

hey, I am here to help you...

1 comment:

  1. Couple days ago I added the new data in my xls file. But something happened with my file and I was very disappointed. Fortunately I used the Google and observed there - xlsx viewer microsoft. It resolved my issue for a minute and for free. Moreover some of my friends were glad this tool and thanked me.

    ReplyDelete